Monday 3 November 2008

Passed by a one legged man!

1.45.37

We’ll no records were falling at this year’s Toronto International ½ Marathon, but it was both a fun & strong finish to what’s generally been a pretty tough race season.

The day’s high was simply doing it – the downhill course, fall temp & tree colours down the long Rosedale Valley kept a smile on my face throughout.

The most interesting moment must have been the reality check where, after catching up to the pacer I wanted after a late start, and passing all kinds of tall people along the way – I suddenly found myself two thirds of the way through eating the dust of one dude who must have been pushing 100, and another with a prosthetic left leg!!

The low point was my seemingly obligatory 17-19k struggle where I wished I had followed Kei’s lead in doing some more progression runs in training. Thankfully this funk didn’t last too long – what helped snapped me out was remembering some race management tips from the courses’ “psyching team” at the Expo, and then thinking about where I am today compared to where it all started for me last year when I was clocking 40min 5k’s at NTO Yorkville on Thursdays!

So what’s next? We lay low, build up our strength, and wait till next season which hopefully will feel like just around the corner (if for any other reason than the winter will be over!). Next big goal: Ironman 70.3 (the ½ IM) in Muskoka … guess I better learn how to swim:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

On a more sober note, I only recently heard about Danny Kassap at the Berlin Marathon, and our thoughts should be with him throughout his recovery.